Managing Director | West Coast
November 30, -0001 by
Managing Director | West Coast
Global agency is seeking an exceptional, confident leader to lead and grow the firm's West Coast team. Based in Seattle, the Managing Director (MD) will set a vision for growth in the West Coast market that inspires and motivates staff, raises visibility and presence with key audiences, increases interest among potential clients, and yields business success. The MD must have a proven track record in driving business growth from existing and winning new clients, and have a global perspective to business development.
With an office in Seattle, and consultants in Sacramento and Los Angeles, the MD must successfully lead a diverse team in a “one-bottom line,” full-service communications agency that works across offices and geographies with ease.
The Managing Director develops and executes an annual strategic business plan built in partnership with a senior leadership team that focuses on sustained growth, staff development and retention, balances cost and revenue, retains clients and staff, and supports an innovative culture and market-leading service offerings. The Managing Director reports to the Chairman of the North American region. At present, the Seattle office has 8 consultants, with one in Sacramento, two in Los Angeles, as well as relationships with independent consultants in the San Francisco Bay area.
The success of the Managing Director will be measured against the following key criteria:
- Creates a positive reputation for the agency in the marketplace – local, regional and globally – and is recognized as an expert and thought leader.
- Actively networks in the local and regional market to identify new business prospects and talent for the firm.
- Actively networks with global businesses with large U.S. presence or headquarters on the West Coast.
- Routinely leads and organizes teams around business development opportunities and manage proposal process ensuring quality of thinking, work standards; and accurate scoping of work.
- Able to effectively cross sell a full breadth of services and drives business across the geography.
- Interfaces and builds sustaining relationships with all levels of staff and external clients.
- Manages and develops a diverse team of employees, contractors, strategic partners and other affiliates ensuring the agency provides communications expertise across industries and sectors. A strong leader of people, effectively communicating and motivating others to excel.
- Plays a key role in talent development and recruitment.
- Demonstrates skill at negotiating and effectively resolves conflict both internally and externally.
- Confidently leads internal and client meetings, offering knowledgeable observations and suggestions; establishes credibility by insights shared; encourages and motivates others to communicate ideas.
- Creates a positive working environment founded on the firm's vision and values, including an assertive commitment to and “one agency” approach that facilitates seamless cross-office and cross-border collaboration.
Actively works with colleagues and managers to propose and advance innovative ideas that will increase market share for the Seattle office and the region.
Client Relationship Management
- Supports sustainable client relationships firm-wide as well as successfully leads client engagements while championing best practices and uniform service levels across the region.
- Helps advance client relationships effectively to build confidence in the agency as a trusted business partner, while preserving the firm's interest in the business relationship.
- Ensures that the agency is appropriately positioned in sectors and service areas, and ensures appropriate levels of resourcing to meet client service needs.
Account and Project Management
- Successful at building cohesive client teams.
- Demonstrates capabilities of effective project management, constructively addresses and resolves issues, and educates others on how account engagements tie to firm's business management.
- Actively reaches out to leverage resources (people, systems, etc.) across the network and is supportive of others doing the same.
- Delivers results against business plan for region by setting goals, responsibly managing budgets and operations, and leading, managing and motivating staff.
- Routinely meets or exceeds revenue and growth targets for self and for the region.
- Brings agency management discipline and strategic thinking around scaling the business for future growth.
- Proactively identifies and attends external meetings and trainings to enhance sector knowledge and contacts; encourages staff members to do the same.
- Takes ownership of and actively engages in team member development; demonstrates thoughtful planning to increase individual skill sets by setting smart objectives and looking for opportunities that challenge them.
EXPERIENCE and QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have a significant profile and network in the Seattle market, specifically, and West Coast in general, with prior experience growing and leading an organization of similar size and scale. He/she will be seen as a credible, trusted advisor to clients and will be comfortable in a content-driven business development environment. Additionally, he/she should also be an exemplary leader of people with a track record for building and directing high-performing teams. Prior agency or management consulting experience would be helpful.
- 15-20 years of experience in communications/public affairs leadership positions. An individual who truly understands the intersection of corporate reputation and public policy, and whose hire would signal the firm's continued relevance and importance in the marketplace.
- A primary focus in Seattle and along the West Coast, but also able to see beyond this region and contribute globally.
- An executive who recognizes and possesses a deep understanding of “best in class” communications practices.
- Someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial, often ambiguous environment, and able to create and seize opportunities – and will help staff do the same. At same time, also able to build more structure and discipline as the needs require.
- An inspirational, charismatic personality. Someone who engages well with and motivates employees at all levels. An extroverted, high-energy individual who “walks the halls” and actively seeks new ways to build morale. Someone who lives and breathes passion and collaboration.
- A command of consulting capabilities. Someone who is substantive, smart and intellectually curious. He/she enjoys being challenged and pushed by colleagues. Someone who thinks in terms of integrated solutions and believes that the sum of ideas is better than his/her own in isolation. Someone who can credibly speak at the CEO level and teach others to do the same.
- A true leader and team builder with a high emotional IQ. An inclusive style that brings people along, irrespective of position or level.
- A brave and confident leader willing to engage in order to resolve conflict, encourages a diversity of thinking and seeks to drive consensus.
- The ability to balance market-facing responsibilities, including business development, with key internal leadership priorities.
- The ability to create high-trust relationships with internal senior leaders around the globe and lead teams with a sense of enterprise-wide goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
EDUCATION and credentials
The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree is preferred.
Compensation and benefits
An attractive compensation and benefit package with base salary and incentive pay will be offered to attract the most qualified candidates.